The word “liquidators” has acquired its great and profound meaning after the Chernobyl accident on April 26, 1986. So they called those who, in a valuable life, rushed to eliminate the consequences of what the “peaceful atom” had done.
The employees of the station took part in the elimination of the consequences of the accident. They were engaged in shutting down equipment, dismantling blockages, eliminating fires on the equipment and other works directly in the reactor hall, engine room and other premises of the emergency block.
The number of victims of the accident was 31, of which one died directly during the explosion, another died immediately after the accident from multiple injuries, the rest died within a few weeks after the accident from radiation burns and acute radiation sickness.
We try not to miss a single shot. This is our story and the memory of those who saved us!
1) Photo: Cleaning of the Chernobyl nuclear power plant roof from radioactive pieces of fuel, debris, and fuel elements. (Fuel element (TVEL) is the main structural element of the active zone of a heterogeneous nuclear reactor containing nuclear fuel.
This difficult work was performed by people, as from the high background of radiation the cars refused to move ..
2) Photo: The process of building the first Shelter 1 or “Sarcophagus”.
Shelter is an insulating structure above the fourth power unit of the Chernobyl nuclear power plant, built by November 1986 after the explosion of the 4th reactor. 400 thousand cubic meters of concrete mix and 7000 tons of metal structures were used for the construction of the Shelter. It was built in the shortest time – 206 days.
3) Photo: A rare snapshot of the technique that operated directly from the Chernobyl nuclear power plant:
4) Photo: Construction of the “Sarcophagus” in the middle stage. In the photo you can see the destroyed 4th power unit and the mash. Hall. Highly radioactive debris and building structures.
5) Photo: concrete pouring of the 4th power unit of the ChNPP.
6) Photo: In the picture heroes-liquidators. The very ones whose hands were built iron-concrete Sarcophagus at the Chernobyl nuclear power plant. Titanic and dangerous work was done.
7) Photo: Police on the sedimentation tank. Cars, which, after the accident, became unusable and dangerous for use because of radiation, were stored on Rassokh and Buryakovka. Some equipment was disposed of, the other was dismantled for details, and the rest remained to stand on the repositories to this day.